In this challenge, your team will invent your own version of the game tag. You can create or remove any rules that you want to!
Tag is a popular children’s game played all over the world. In a basic game, one student is “It.” This student must chase the other students until he/she touches another student. The student who was tagged is now “It.”
In a team of 3-4 students:
- Write down the rules for your new game of tag. Be sure to give the game a good name! (5 minutes)
- Present the rules of your new tag game to the class.
- The class will vote on which team presented the best ideas. Go outside to play the winning game.
Your team will be able to use the following items to complete this challenge.
- Paper and pencil
Here are some questions that you can ask your students after the exercise.
- Was it easier to think of new rules to add or to change old rules?
- While playing the game, did the new rules work as you expected?
- Did any students use the rules to have an unfair advantage?
- Did you create any new rules during playing the game to keep things fair?
This exercise touches on these learning concepts:
- Refresh an old idea– Encourage your students to see an old idea (the game of tag) in new ways. In life, there are always ways to improve how we do things, even if we have been doing things the same way for many years. Your brain works wonders when you put it to work!
This post is also available in: Kreyòl (Haitian Creole)