In this creative challenge, a team of 3-5 children will create an original story and performance about a character who experiences an unexpected change. Each member of the team will design a mask to represent their part in the story. The character that undergoes the change should decorate their mask on both sides so the audience can see the change.
Your story can be real or imaginary… funny or serious… it is up to your team to decide. Just be sure that everyone plays a part in the story.
In a team of 3-5 students:
- Create a story and performance about a character who experiences a change. (5 minutes)
- Each person will design and decorate a mask. Don’t forget to decorate one mask on two sides so we can see how the character changes. (10 minutes)
- Practice your performance. (5 minutes)
- Perform your story in front of the class. (2 minutes)
Teams will be provided with these items to complete the challenge.
- 1 paper plate per student for a mask
- Crayons, markers, or other supplies for decorating the mask
- Paper and pencil for writing ideas
Here are some questions that you can ask the students after the exercise.
- What was the change that took place in your character?
- What was the hardest part of this challenge?
- What did you like more… writing the story, decorating the masks, or performing the skit?
- A team is strongest when members have different skills. On your team, who is a good story teller? Idea generator? Artist?
This exercise touches on these learning concepts:
- Developing a Story – The students have to work as a team to create a story in a short period of time. A good story will have a beginning, middle, and an end.
- Acting – Students use their imaginations to become the character in the skit. They use their voice and their actions to get the audience excited about the story.
- Art – The students will express themselves as they decorate the mask that represents their character in the skit.
This post is also available in: Kreyòl (Haitian Creole)