In the Fall of 2017, Kreyatif.org will launch as a free content hub for Haitian teachers that are looking for simple and fun ways to bring creativity to the classroom.
Educational systems around the world place a heavy emphasis on rote memorization and standardized testing. A program is needed to spark the creative nature that dwells within all kids. Kreyatif.org (the Haitian Creole word for Creative) will ignite the arts, engineering, teamwork, and problem solving in classrooms across Haiti.
What Is It?
Kreyatif.org will consist of:
- A library of 15-20 minutes creative exercises for teachers to share with their students.
- Discussion questions and core creative concepts on each exercise.
- Resources for teachers to dive deeper into key educational topics on creativity in the classroom.
- Materials presented in both Haitian Creole and English.
Teacher Workshop and Creative Camp
On July 17th through the 21st, we will be doing our first live pilot of the program by offering a Teacher Workshop and a Creative Camp in Haiti. Approximately 15 Haitian teachers and 150 local students will be in attendance at a school near Port-au-Prince. Our team of US volunteers will work with the teachers to field test of the content being developed for this program.
Content Review Team
Volunteers have stepped up to to join our Content Review Team. Teachers, instructional designers, and creative types will be reviewing all of our content prior to it being launched in July.
Vision for the Future
We believe that this concept could grow in two key ways in the future:
- Connections to American Classrooms – It would be amazing to see US and Haitian classrooms working on the same creative challenge, exchanging photos, and building a bond. The awareness in both directions could plant some beautiful seeds for the future.
- Teachers Submit Content – We would love to see Haitian teachers submit their own creative challenges to the site.
- Adding More Languages – The creative challenges are being designed in a way that could be adopted by other developing countries. Translating the challenges into new languages and sharing this in other countries is entirely possible.
Do you have questions on what we’re working or are you interested in getting involved? Contact email@example.com with your questions and he’ll get right back to you.
Kreyatif.org is a social start-up that is launching under the umbrella of the American Friendship Foundation. The organization helps great ideas like this one to get off the ground without having to immediately start a 501(c)(3).
This post is also available in: Kreyòl (Haitian Creole)